Prof. Dr. Christian Bischof
work +49 6151 16-71001
fax +49 6151 16-71198
Office: S4|14 3.2.05
- Organisational Paradigms for IT in Scientific Organisations
- IT-Support for Scientific Research Processes and Artifacts („eScience“)
- Automatic Differentiation and Automated Code Generation
- Problem Solving Environments for Scientific Computing
- Parallel Algorithms and High Performance Computing
Born 1960 in Aschaffenburg, I studied Mathematics and Computer Science in Würzburg and then went 1983 to Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, supported by a Fulbright stipend, and received the Ph.D. degree in Computer science there in 1988. After various activities at the Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois, I followed the calling to RWTH Aachen University in 1998, and took over the administration of the computation center and the chair of the Institute for Scientific Computing. Since July 2011 I head in a similar construction the university computation center (HRZ) of the TU Darmstadt and the institute for Scientific Computing.
Awards and distinctions
- 1983 – 1984 Fulbright Stipendium.
- 1986 – 1988 Mathematical Sciences Institute Fellowship, Cornell University.
- 1988 – 1989 First laureate of the Wilkinson Fellowship in Computational Mathematics, Argonne National Laboratory.
- 1990 Best paper award (with Philippe Lacroute) at the CONPAR 90/VAPP IV Joint Conference on Vector and Parallel Processing for he Paper “An adaptive matrix blocking strategy”, Zürich, September 1990.
- 1995 Jointly with Alan Carle laureate of the Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software for the ADIFOR 2.0 System at the ICIAM, Hamburg, Germany.
- 2005 Offer of full professorship in Scientific Computing at the University Hamburg, in combination with the position of director of the German Climate Computing Center (www.dkrz.de).
- 2008 Best Application Paper Award (with B. Hentschel, I. Tedjo, M. Probst, M. Wolter, M. Behr and T. Kuhlen) at the IEEE Visualization, Columbus, U.S.A.
- Member of the IT-Commission of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).
- Member of the sub commission for information management of the DFG.
- Member of the board of directors of the German National Research and Education Network (DFN).
- Chairman of the Distributed Computational Science and Engineering (dCSE) panel of the HECToR UK National Supercomputing Service.
- Vice chairman, GAUSS-Allianz e.V.
Organisation of conferences
- Member, organisation committee, SIAM Conf. on Parallel Processing (PP12), 2012.
- Member, program committee, IPDSP 2012.
- Member, program committee, ParCo 2011.
- Member, program committee, PerCoSC 2011.
- Organiser, Workshop on Automated Program Generation for Computational Science, Int. Conf. on Computational Science (ICCS2010), Amsterdam, May 31, 2010.
- Organiser, Minisymposium on „Graduate Education for the Parallel Revolution“, SIAM Conf. on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing (PP10), Seattle, Febr. 23, 2010.
- Member, program committee, IEEE Int. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS10).
- Member, program committee, IEEE Cluster 2010.
- Gordon Bell Price Award Committee for Supercomputing09.
- Member, program committee, IEEE Int. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS09).
- Member, organisation committee, 5th Inf. Conf. on Automatic Differentiation (AD 2008).
- Gordon Bell Price Award Committee for Supercomputing08.