Prof. Dr. Christian Bischof
work +49 6151 16-71001
fax +49 6151 16-71198
Office: S1|22 415
- Performance Analysis
- Performance Engineering
- Automatic Differentiation and Automated Code Generation
- Parallel Algorithms and High Performance Computing
- source analysis and transformation tools
- reproducability and reliability of simulations
Born 1960 in Aschaffenburg, I began studies in Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Würzburg. I moved to Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, supported by a Fulbright scholarship, where I received a Ph.D. degree in Computer science in 1988. After various scientific activities at the Mathematics and Computer Science Division of Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois, I moved to RWTH Aachen University in 1998, and took over the leadership of the computing center and the chair of the Institute for Scientific Computing. Since July 2011, I am responsible, in a similiar setup, for the university computing center (HRZ) and the Institute for Scientific Computing of TU Darmstadt.
Awards and distinctions
- 1983 – 1984 Fulbright Fellowship.
- 1986 – 1988 Mathematical Sciences Institute Fellowship, Cornell University.
- 1988 – 1989 First recipient of the Wilkinson Fellowship in Computational Mathematics, Argonne National Laboratory.
- 1990 Best paper award (with Philippe Lacroute) at the CONPAR 90/VAPP IV Joint Conference on Vector and Parallel Processing for the Paper “An adaptive matrix blocking strategy”, Zürich, September 1990.
- 1995 Jointly with Alan Carle recipient of the Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software for the ADIFOR 2.0 System at the ICIAM, Hamburg, Germany.
- 2005 Offer of full professorship in Scientific Computing at the University Hamburg, in combination with the position of director of the German Climate Computing Center (www.dkrz.de).
- 2008 Best Application Paper Award (with B. Hentschel, I. Tedjo, M. Probst, M. Wolter, M. Behr and T. Kuhlen) at the IEEE Visualization, Columbus, U.S.A.